I had my own little revolution the other day. Last week, the day after my birthday…I changed my cell phone number. It’s about the equivalent of a woman cutting all her hair off…which I’ve done once…or seven times.
When a woman cuts all her hair off, or changes the cell phone number she’s had for a decade…shit’s about to get real.
My birthdays have always been check-ins for myself. What needs to change? What needed to change, like…yesterday? Who’s life am I living? What do I want to be and do? What and who gets my energy?
A birthday is a clean slate…a new year…my very own New Year. Things have to change if I want my life to change. And every year I get very, very clear about that.
But some things don’t change…like my birthday dessert!
I always celebrate my birthday with a peach pie or peach cobbler. Always. This recipe is quick and sexy as hell (you’ll believe me after you slip one of the cooked peaches into your mouth for a taste test)! I’m a crust girl…not a biscuit topping girl…but do what you like. The crust on this cobbler is thick…kind of like a cookie…but with a tender crispness I look for in a pie crust.
I could have eaten the whole pan.
Maybe I did.
It was my birthday, after all.
‘Til next time…Reine
Peaches n’ Cream Cobbler
For the crust…
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 TBSP sugar
- 1/2 tsp sea sat
- 2/3 cup Spectrum Organic Shortening
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, chilled to form a solid, then broken into pieces
- 1/3 cup ice water
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, and sea salt into a bowl and set aside.
- Add your spectrum and coconut oil pieces to your dry ingredients and blend with your fingers until your dough looks crumbly.
- Add your apple cider vinegar to your ice water, and add this to your flour/fat mixture.
- Your dough is going to feel fry…if it feels too dry, add a teaspoon or two of ice water. Once your dough comes together, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour.
For the filling…
- 8 ripe peaches, cut into 1/2″ wedges, skin on (cause I hate peeling fruit)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (or sweetener of choice)
- 2 TBSP sugar (or sweetener of choice)
- 3 TBSP coconut milk + 2 tsp corn starch (mix together)
- 2 TBSP dark rum
- 1 TBSP lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated on a microplane
- Place a medium-sized stock pot over moderate heat.
- Add your sliced peaches, sugars, lemon juice, cinnamon, and fresh ginger, and stir. Continue to cook this mixture for 5 minutes.
- Add your coconut milk and corn starch mixture and stir, continuing to cook over moderate heat for 3-4 more minutes. Add dark rum and remove from heat.
Directions for rolling your crust and assembling your cobbler:
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Halve your ball of crust and roll out two separate circles.
- Brush one circle with coconut oil and place the other circle of crust on top.
- Fold the doubled crust in half on top of itself, then roll out to desired thickness. Slice the crust into strips. You will have left over dough. Save it for love and magic on another day. it freezes beautifully also.
- Spray an 8×8 baking dish with non-stick spray or rub a little coconut oil in the pan.
- Pour in your cooked peaches and begin to assemble the crust strips on top…however you like…your kitchen your magic. Brush your crust with olive oil (or oil of choice…or coconut milk) and sprinkle with sugar
Bake your cobbler for 35-37 minutes…just until the crust is crisp enough for you. Top with ice cream or whipped cream of choice.